We had carrots lying around from which I wanted to make carrot cupcakes, but I went ahead and tried something different, making them extra special carrot cupcakes. Nuts and carrots are a classical pair, and I wanted to add a few things to make them more special, or in other words just try something different and experiment a little. The special mix turned into a Carrot cupcake with Hazelnuts, Poppy seeds and Lemon.
( 14 cupcakes)
250 gr carrots, grated
100 gr ground hazelnuts
50 gr poppy seeds
2 tbsp lemon zest
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp cinnamon powder
1 tsp almond extract
200 g flour
2 tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
150 g sugar
100 ml oil
200 g milk (with a bit of creme fraiche mixed in)
1. Preheat oven to 180 C.
2. Peel and grate the carrots. Grind the hazelnuts, but not too fine so you also get a bit of crunch.
Mix the carrots, nuts, poppy seeds, lemon zest and juice.
3. Mix the flour, salt, cinnamon powder and baking powder. Set aside.
4. Beat the egg and the sugar until light and fluffy. Add the oil and the milk and mix until you have a smooth batter. Add in the almond extract. Mid until combined.
5. Mix the flour with the carrot nut mixture and then add in the liquid mixture (egg, sugar, oil..). Mix until everything is combined. Fill the cupcake liner 3/4 way full. Bake in the oven 20-25 minutes.
6. Let the cupcakes cool for 5 minutes before removing from the tins. Let the cupcakes cool completely before dusting with icing sugar.
I didn't want to make a thick creamy icing for these cupcakes. I wanted to keep it light and simple and simply dusted them with confectioners sugar. I cream cheese frosting would probably work well with these cupcakes.
Enjoy! please vote for me here. There are wonderful prizes to be won!